All of us have the need to look younger and have beautiful skin. Wrinkles and premature aging occur due to lifestyle changes, hormonal changes, exposure to UV rays, smoking and drinking, repeated facial expressions. This can be prevented to an extent by protecting your skin from sunlight, moisturizing often, avoiding smoking and drinking, and maintaining a healthy diet. However, sometimes we need a little help to combat these lines and wrinkles.
Surgical procedures such as face lifts may be an option. This surgical procedure was initially developed for females who were very conscious about their sagging skin, but now even men are turning to this option to reverse the signs of aging. However, non-surgical procedures like Laser treatments, Chemical Peels, Microneedling, Anti-Wrinkle treatment such as Botox, Facial Fillers such as Restylane may be all you need to look and feel beautiful again.
Some considerations to ensure you are a candidate for the chosen course of treatment include but not limited to:
1. Good overall health – Some of these treatments require healing and recovery time. As such, it is recommended that you should be physically fit for the procedure. If you have allergies or other medical illnesses consult a physician prior to treatment.
2. Wrinkles and elasticity- As you age, skin elasticity decreases, and facial lines and wrinkles become more prominent. As such, consult a licensed professional who will ensure the treatment is personalized for your age, skin type and texture, and expectations.
3. Bone structure- Bone structure also has a role to play when it comes to these treatments. People with non-descript facial structures might benefit more from a facial implant rather than a facelift.
4. Sagging skin- This is a primary focus of non-surgical treatments such as Facial Fillers. They add volume to the cheeks, jawline, chin and lips. The Titan Laser also tightens skin in the face, jaw, neck by stimulating collagen with no downtime. If you prefer a more invasive treatment then surgical face implants may be an option.
5. Recovery time – Non-invasive treatments do not have any downtime but there are precautions that must be followed such as using high SPF, avoiding direct sunlight or wearing a hat, avoiding strenuous exercise for a few days to prevent bruising and inflammation. Surgical options may require 3-4 week recovery time so it is advised to be sure this something you will be prepared for to ensure a good result.
Anti-Wrinkle such as Botox
This is a chemical, Botulinum Toxin that is injected into the skin to temporarily tighten and eliminate wrinkles. They are injected into specific muscles to prevent them from contracting, producing a smooth and wrinkle-free texture. It works well on frown lines in between your eyebrows, horizontal lines across the forehead and crows feet around the eyes. It takes about 2-3 days to see and result but can last up to 90 days or more based on metabolism. Maintenance is required to ensure lines and wrinkles do not intensify.
Facial Fillers such as Restylane
This is a process by which hyaluronic acids are injected into your cheeks, undereye, nasolabial folds, marionette lines, chin, jawline and lips to fill or plump these areas which in turn smooths out wrinkles and fine lines. There might be temporary redness and swelling but it will subside as the filler settles. The effects can last from 9 to 18 months but maintenance is required to ensure a good result for your lifetime.
Laser Treatments – Titan non-surgical face lift
The Titan laser is a device that uses infrared to tighten skin on the face, jawline and neck. The infrared energy heats the dermis beneath the skin’s surface which stimulates collagen productions creating a firmer, tighter skin over time. This is achieved in two ways, the infrared heats the weakened collagen causing it to immediately contract and thicken. It also creates micro injuries in the dermal layer of the skin boosting collagen productions over several months. It is a great option for anyone who has moderate sagging and does not want to undergo surgical procedures such as a face lift and all the risks associated. Typically 3-4 treatments are required a month apart with maintenance once every 6 months.
Surgical Face Lift
Facelift or Rhytidectomy is a surgical process involving the tightening of the skin, underlying muscles, and fats. It rejuvenates your face and removes signs of aging in areas like lower cheeks, jaw, upper neck, etc. A forehead lift is a surgical treatment meant for the forehead, brows, and upper eyelid whereas the midface lift aims towards the middle of the face and lower eyelid. Sometimes, an additional procedure like liposuction might be required for a person to get rid of the fat under the chin. This is an invasive option with a 3-4 week recovery time and costs more than non-invasive treatments.